Miss Harris and Mrs Paisley
Mathematics is a creative and highly inter-connected discipline that has been developed over centuries, providing the solution to some of history’s most intriguing problems. It is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering, and necessary for financial literacy and most forms of employment. A high-quality mathematics education therefore provides a foundation for understanding the world, the ability to reason mathematically, an appreciation of the beauty and power of mathematics, and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.
At Barnwood C of E Primary we started a new journey with learning in Mathematics in 2016 and we are currently adopting a mastery approach to the teaching and learning of Mathematics in our school.
We believe that ability within Mathematics is not fixed and foster positive ‘can do’ attitudes, believing all children can achieve in mathematics encouraging children to develop a ‘growth mindset’.
Underlying the mastery approach is the belief that more time is spent teaching key mathematical ideas and concepts to allow for the development of depth and sufficient practice to embed learning. All children should work together on a sequence of carefully planned learning points to become fluent mathematicians who are able to reason and solve a variety of problems by applying what they have learned in a range of contexts.
Key aspects of Curriculum Design – mastery and number fluency
Number Sense – Supported by Arithmekit
Day 1 : Addition
Day 2 : Subtraction
Day 3: Multiplication/Times tables.
Day 4 : Division
Day 5: Closing the gap intervention
Mastery lesson design
- Key learning point.
- Teach it : introduction , hook, modelling, concrete resources
- Do it : do it - simple examples
- Stretch it : active argument (yes/no true/false) misconceptions – probing questions
- Solve it : missing digits/symbols .Generating the question. Probing questions
- (always/sometimes /never)
- Muliplication and Division Calculations [pdf 1MB]
- Addition and Subtraction Calculations [pdf 1MB]
- Calculation Policy March 2017 [docx 2MB]
- Mastery in Mathematics at Barnwood C of E Primary School [docx 65KB]
- Maths Policy March 2017 [doc 48KB]
- Maths Evening for Parents on Addition and Subtraction Calculations [ppt 1MB]
Money Week Displays
Maths in Real Life Contexts